Operations Manager Position for Family Office
The Boehm Gladen Family Office is currently seeking a Santa Barbara, CA based Operations Manager. The office has several components – BOMA Investments LLC which does impact investing and initiates projects and collaborations in the social impact space, the Boehm-Gladen Foundation, and a real estate portfolio.
We’re searching for a skilled generalist to work closely with the three project leads, including the founders. From day one, the Operations Manager will have an immediate impact on our productivity. We actively work on most of the UN’s Sustainability Goals. The job includes streamlining strategic initiatives, overseeing program management, and communicating objectives between all stakeholders. We work as a small internal team but with many collaborators, project participants, trusted consultants, and board members / principals of other organizations. There is a significant amount of oversight and communication needed to move our projects forward. We are looking for someone who thrives on multi-tasking. The Operations Manager should be comfortable working with and communicating with our bookkeeper, our legal, accounting, and financial advisors, and project leads and staff.
The ideal candidate will have experience in an operational management role. We have several organization components, which will require oversight and advancement by the Operations Manager:
- BOMA, our operating LLC, develops collaborations, invests for social impact, supports the development of early stage social entrepreneurs, and spends time in direct support of partner organizations (the majority of the Operations Manager’s time will be spent here)
- A real estate portfolio,
- The Boehm-Gladen Foundation, which does capacity building in the social impact sector by developing, funding, and executing projects such as the Boehm Media Fellowship.
- Reports to the owners, who are active in all aspects of the family office activities. We want our lives to run smoothly.
- Manages the processes of our projects, from early stage development through successful execution, under the guidance of the principals and the project leaders.
- Assists in the communication and documentation related to all projects within the family office.
- Tracks all investments and communicates as needed, accurately and in a timely manner.
- Maintains records for all investments.
- Determines knowledge and skills gaps and helps address them through training, consultants, and service providers.
- Improves current processes and coordinates organizational procedures for optimized efficiency and productivity.
- Finds, selects, on-boards, and manages participants in our mentoring, teaching, development, and writing projects.
- Reviews, designs, and executes on improvements to org structure.
Daily and Monthly Responsibilities
- Serve as liaison between and among staff and external personnel, regarding projects, investments, properties, legal and tax practices.
- Oversee the sourcing, selecting, and onboarding of new hires and project personnel.
- Oversee daily operations through collaboration with staff and external personnel, performing an array of administrative tasks from managing calendars, managing website, generating correspondence, maintaining hard copy and electronic files, planning and coordinating annual events and meetings, and scheduling facilities.
- Build and develop relationships with all participants to bring increased efficiency and effective responsiveness into existing operations, and help to define new operational strategies.
- Work with the principals and project leads on special projects.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on projects and initiatives, handling inquiries and developing action plans to address them, and assisting with the preparation and dissemination of communications.
- Deal with administration as needed.
- May require early morning/ late evening participation in international phone, Zoom, calls.
Skills and Qualifications
- 5+ years working in a variety of business functions, including a diversity of roles in small businesses
- 2+ years in a business or executive management role
- Proven experience organizing and directing multiple teams / departments
- Excellent communicator in written and verbal form
- Extremely versatile and dedicated to efficient productivity
- Experience planning and leading strategic initiatives
- Competent knowledge of Excel spreadsheets and cloud based SAAS resources including communication, task or project management software, and calendaring
- Experience with budget management, financial planning, and operations management
- Proven success in a project coordination role
- Nimble business mind with a focus on developing creative solutions
- Strong project reporting skills, with a focus on communication to keep everyone informed about progress and problems
- Knowledge of basic website updating
- Small business, for-profit company experience
- Facilitation skills
- Social media campaign management
- Strong spreadsheet skills
- Event planning and logistics
- Travel arrangements
- Experience in social impact space
- Experience in sales or customer service
- Investment experience
- HR management experience
Aptitude and Attitude
We are looking for someone with a positive, can-do attitude, who thrives in making order out of chaos, likes a fast pace, is able to problem solve, is “friendly yet firm”, productive, is willing and able to work independently, is detail oriented when it matters, is culturally sensitive, and practices good personal time management. Ideally, you’ll have a passion for applying your skills in making a difference in the world.
What We Do
- Impact Investing – over 100 investments in more than fifty early stage companies
- Projects and collaborations, including
- World Merit
- Blockchain for Social Impact Coalition
- Farmers First – ethically managed organic crops
- Technology for Good cooperative
- Boehm Media Fellows
- Real estate portfolio
- Affordable housing manufacturing
- Multifamily home investing and management
- Training and Education
- Messaging for social organizations
- Survive and thrive guidance for social start-ups
- Santa Barbara-based position
- The Boma office is base at Kiva Co-Work, 1117 State Street, Santa Barbara. This is one of several of our home/work offices in Santa Barbara.
- The position is likely to involve some travel, including international travel.
DOE: 70K -100K
Send resumes to Bomainvests@gmail.com